I Can Be as Good as the People I Look up To
Its 12:29 am on Friday 21st October 2022. I'm supposed to be in bed, but I'm here watching a talk that Josh Comeau linked to in his article titled Lessons Learned Speaking at Conferences.
And it occured to me how, in these moments I normally think to myself, how did ...insert name... get so good at ...insert skill...
I've just answered that question for myself.
If you ever think to yourself, how did Adrian get soo good at x, here's your answer:
- He exposed himself to people who he had that exact question about. Like Josh, who's work I really admire.
- He read from a blog like this where the people he looked up to wrote about their experiences.
- He read open source code when it was available. Like for my tool
create-til, I'm reading the code for Lee Byron's tool
tilwhich he open sourced.
- He tried to do what these people did in his own small way. Like by creating his version of
create-tiland by coming up with his own talk and using that he hopes to submit to DevFest Nairobi 2022 or any other forum he can get to give the talk.
- He reads broadly. At the moment, he is reading two books: zero to one and shape up. Also reading a bunch of blogposts and watching content on Frontend Masters.
So there you have it. That's how I plan to answer the question: "How did Adrian get so good at ...insert awesome skill..."